It is commonly available in pre-tempered grades such as, 6061-O (solutionized), 6061-T6 (solutionized and artificially aged), 6061-T651 (solutionized, stress-relieved stretched and artificially aged).
Basic properties6061 has a density of 2.70 g/cm³ (0.0975 lb/in³). Chemical composition
The alloy composition of 6061 is:
- Silicon minimum 0.4%, maximum 0.8% by weight
- Iron no minimum, maximum 0.7%
- Copper minimum 0.15%, maximum 0.40%
- Manganese no minimum, maximum 0.15%
- Magnesium minimum 0.8%, maximum 1.2%
- Chromium minimum 0.04%, maximum 0.35%
- Zinc no minimum, maximum 0.25%
- Titanium no minimum, maximum 0.15%
- Other elements no more than 0.05% each, 0.15% total
- Remainder Aluminum
Mechanical propertiesThe mechanical properties of 6061 depend greatly on the temper, or heat treatment, of the material.  Young's Modulus is 10x10^6 psi (69 GPa) irrespective of temper.
Annealed 6061 (6061-O temper) has maximum tensile strength no more than 18,000 psi (125 MPa), and maximum yield strength no more than 8,000 psi (55 MPa). The material has elongation (stretch before ultimate failure) of 25-30 %.
T4 temper 6061 has an ultimate tensile strength of at least 30,000 psi (207 MPa) and yield strength of at least 16,000 psi (110 MPa). It has elongation of 16%.
6061-T6T6 temper 6061 has an ultimate tensile strength of at least 42,000 psi (290 MPa) and yield strength of at least 35,000 psi (241 MPa). More typical values are 45,000 psi (310 MPa) and 40,000 psi (275 MPa), respectively. In thicknesses of 0.250 inch (6.35 mm) or less, it has elongation of 8% or more; in thicker sections, it has elongation of 10%. T651 temper has similar mechanical properties. The famous Pioneer plaque was made of this particular alloy. A material data sheet  defines the fatigue limit under cyclic load as 14,000 psi.
- 6061 is widely used for construction of aircraft structures, such as wings and fuselages, more commonly in homebuilt aircraft than commercial or military aircraft.
- 6061 is commonly used in the construction of bicycle frames and components.
- 6061 is used in automotive parts, such as wheel spacers.
- 6061 is used in the manufacture of aluminum cans for the packaging of foodstuffs and beverages.
- 6061 is used in SCUBA tanks (post 1995)
- 6061 was the material used for the Pioneer plaques.